I dont think I can eat more than one of these goodies in one day. They are so dang sweet. I did not deviate much from the original recipe, except fiddling around the number of eggs needed. I dont like having leftover egg whites. So, for the mud cake, I used 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk; for the cookies, I used 1 egg white and 1 whole egg. Everything turned out fine..
Source: The AWW: Cupcakes, Cheesecakes, Cookies. 2008
250g butter, softened
450g plain flour
75g self-raising flour
2 Tbs cocoa powder, extra
Chocolate Mud Cake
150g butter, chopped
100g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
2 Tbs coffee liqueur
150 gr plain flour
2 tbs cocoa powder
2 egg yolks
Combine butter, chocolate, sugar the water and liqueur in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Place mixture in medium bowl; cool 10 minutes. Whisk in sifted flour and cocoa, then egg yolks. Divide mixture among pans. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool cake in pans. Using 6.5cm round cutter, cut 12 rounds from each cake.
200g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarselyBring cream to a boil in small
saucepan; remove from heat. Add chocolate; stir until smooth.
Refrigerate until spreadable..
1. Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan-forced. Grease two 20cm x 30cm lamington pans; line with a strip of baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pans.
2. Make chocolate mud cake.
3. Make chocolate ganache.
4. Beat butter, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until combined. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in sifted flours and cocoa, in two batches. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth; divide in half, roll each portion between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
6. Using 6.5mm round cutter, cut 48 rounds from dough. Place about 3cm apart on oven trays. Bake about 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
7. Spread ganache onto underside of cookies; sandwich a mud cake round between two cookies.
8. using heart template, dust cookies with extra cocoa.